Lefroy Cottage is a gorgeous little home away from home, with a high quality interior finish and situated just a stone's throw from the cafe's, restaurants...
Added to shortlist
This home is in your shortlist. To access your shortlist click the icon in the navigation
Add to shortlist
This home is not yet in your shortlist
- 2 Bedrooms
- Sleeps 6
- 1 baths
About our home
Our house is in Fremantle - the historic port city of Western Australia located on the shimmering Indian Ocean. Fremantle has been here since the mid 1800s, and our house was originally built in 1897. It is a heritage-listed weatherboard cottage in South Fremantle, which was originally the horse training and working end of town. The front verandah/porch (photo) is a key feature of the house, great for relaxing, reading, enjoying family time and watching the stunning sunsets. There are six interior rooms –- kitchen/dining, living room, 2 bedrooms, an enclosed back porch/verandah sleeping area, and the bathroom. Two separate small buildings house the laundry and a spare toilet (“the dunny”). The décor is generally neutral. We have a back garden area, a kid's treehouse, and a vegetable garden. We have added a moderate level of conveniences to make the house comfortable, hopefully keeping a reasonable balance with the historic character.
From our house, it’s a 50-metre walk to the kids playground/park, a 300-metre walk to the beach, and a free bus service takes you in to the central part of Fremantle in 5-10 minutes. Adults and kids bikes are available, and Fremantle has a network or posted and dedicated bicycle routes. Cafes, restaurants, farmers markets, and grocery stores are conveniently located within walking distance. Fremantle has plenty of shopping and art galleries, are all within 2-3 km of our house. There are two maritime museums in Fremantle, an art centre, and numerous other historic buildings.
After visitors exhaust Fremantle, central Perth is a 25-30 min train ride, or alternatively a 30 min drive. Other nearby attractions include Rottnest Island (30-60 min ferry ride), the Swan River and Margaret River wine growing regions (1-3 hrs drive), the Pinnacles national park (2 hrs drive), and the historic town of Albany on the southern ocean coast (4 hrs drive). Botanists, birdwatchers, and naturalists will enjoy Western Australia because of the biodiversity and unique flora and fauna.
Popular local activities and sports include boating, fishing, sailing, windsurfing, and kite surfing. Local sailing clubs are located within walking distance of our house, and are a good source of knowledge and opportunity for those interested in crewing. Other local sports clubs include bowls, cricket, and Australian rules football. Visitors may also be interested in Surf Lifesaving Australia, which provides Australian beaches with a crew of volunteer lifesavers, and also sponsors popular competitions in lifesaving activities such as surf boat rowing, surf board rescue, beach running and sprinting, and inflatable rescue boat racing.
- Main home
- Equipped for kids
- Air conditioning
- No pets
More about us
- We are a family of five - Bill is a geologist, originally from California, and Amelia is an accountant, originally from Sydney. We have a daughter (age 8), and two sons (ages 2 and 4). We love our swimming, bicycling, camping, and hiking. We both enjoy cooking.
- Bill works as an oil and gas industry consultant at the moment, concentrating on the hazards and risks of offshore and onshore oil and gas drilling. Earlier jobs included earthquake hazards, engineering geology, and minerals and mining. Amelia has concentrated dominantly on taxation aspects of R&D investment.
- We have a large vegetable garden which mostly is used for growing salad greens. We try to keep the place as green as possible, we have photovoltaic electricity, and are installing solar hot water.
Where is it?
- Cozy cafés
- Wild Poppy Cafe on Wray Avenue, Oootong Lincoln on South Terrace
- Retail therapy
- Fremantle Markets
- Bit of culture
- Maritime Museum
- Walks in the park
- Parmelia Park is very close for the kids
- Spot of exercise
- Have a run on the beach, swim, or join a local yoga class, many are outdoors
- Day tripping
- Perth Hills, Swan Valley
You may also like
Approximately 20-30 mins easy drive to central Perth. There are a few nice local restaurants and a lovely patisserie, wineries and a cider house in the...
This modern beach house is a 2 minute walk to the beautiful white sandy swimming beach of Prevelly and is only a 10 minute walk away from the world famous...