“The apartment is wonderful. The hosts are very friendly and helpful. Two architects have converted a roof space into an amazing 4 level home shared by two cute cats. The top floor roof terrace has stunning views over Vienna. The location is great - easy access by close tram to the city, or train to Schonbrunn or walk to Belvedere. There are places close by to buy groceries and eat many different types of food. Cable TV in English - so you can keep up with the world news. A wonderful place to stay while visiting Vienna. Thanks F & J”
Beautiful architect-designed rooftop apartment
Beautiful architect-designed rooftop apartment
Added to shortlist
This home is in your shortlist. To access your shortlist click the icon in the navigation
Add to shortlist
This home is not yet in your shortlist
- 3 Bedrooms
- Sleeps 5
- 2 baths
About our home
As architects, it took us quite a while to find the perfect place to create our home. Lots of light, space, a terrace off the living room, and a quick walk/tram to the first district were a must. Finally, we added to the beautiful hardwood floors a Bulthaup kitchen, our personal mix of modern and antique furnishings, and our two friendly cats – Pluto and Mars.
Our rooftop apartment is within a 15-minute walking radius to the the Opera House, the Belvedere Palace, the open air market (Naschmarkt), and the new Main Train Station. Artsy restaurants, galleries, shops and a lovely historic park to take a stroll and people watch are all close-by. If you want to eat in – a sunset dinner on the terrace is hard to beat – an organic grocery store, a butcher with prepared foods, and a large gourmet supermarket are just down the street.
Our apartment is on the top floor of a century old building with a beautiful green courtyard. The whole building was entirely built/renovated in 2012 and is very environmentally friendly. The apartment is kept warm in the winter with radiant floor heating and cool in the summer with radiant cooling and all the rainwater for terraces is recycled. A lift brings you to the top level and a half flight of stairs takes you to our entrance. The apartment itself has, on the lower level, a master bedroom, two children's rooms (one with its own terrace), a bathroom with a large glazed walk-in shower and rain shower head, and an additional toilet. The main level has an open floor plan with living room, kitchen, dining table, fireplace, and my favourite window seat next to a built in bookshelf. Two large double-sized sliding glass doors open onto a terrace with a table that seats eight, a bbq, roses, herb garden, etc. A perfect place for a morning coffee or a glass of wine at sunset! Above the living room is a gallery with our home office. Above that is the top terrace with a garden, lounge sofas, and a spectacular 280 degree view over Vienna.
- Main home
- Cable TV
- Equipped for kids
- Air conditioning
- No pets
“This a lovely modern apartment with all of the facilities anyone would require. It is conveniently located near the Central Station and there are trams into the city at the end of the street. Jennifer's information pack is most comprehensive and the two cats, Venus and Mars are friendly and easy to look after. Highly recommended!”
“We had a wonderful weekend in Vienna! The apartment is in a super location, so close to the city centre but yet is calm, full of light and so stylish. We felt right at home with a lovely welcome gift from Jennifer and her family and an excellent information pack full of very helpful tips and recommendations. If anything it is nicer than the photographs - and seems bigger - stretching over 4 floors. The rooftop terrace is so nice on a sunny evening (which we were lucky enough to have in March!), there are lots of interesting details and art as well as a great shower, a comfy double bed and fully equipped kitchen. Vienna itself is such a beautiful city with stunning architecture and so much to see and do - we only scratched the surface. Highly recommended! ”
More about us
- We are Californian and German transplants who have raised our bilingual kids in one of the best cities in the world.
- We are both architects.
- Our home reflects our relaxed, open lifestyle. As for travelling, kayaking, exploring wild open spaces, and uncovering architecture are our passions.
Where is it?
- Buzzy restaurants
- A block away is the tiny and packed Duspara, which has amazing food at very reasonable prices and you won't find a tourist in the room. If you want to eat here I'll need to book a table at least two weeks in advance. One of the best places in Vienna to get schnitzel is called Rudi's Beisl and is across the street. It is also very popular and needs a reservation. We are foodies so the list goes on and on, but we will supply a list of our favourite places for you to explore.
- Cool bars
- A bar depends on how you like it – stirred, shaken, mixed, from the vine, or from the tap? Don't worry, there are options to suit every taste.
- Cozy cafés
- Our neighbourhood is multiculti, but a couple of cute and hip places have opened up recently. One of them is called
- Retail therapy
- There are lots of young fashion designers on Margaretenstrasse, Schleifmuhlgasse etc. If you are feeling particularly extravagant, a young cobbler down the street makes custom-made leather shoes that you will wear for the rest of your life. Both the first district, with its designer labels, and Mariahilferstrasse, with its major department stores, are in easy reach.
- Bit of culture
- For music – the Opera, Musikverein, and Konzerthaus; for art – the Klimt's at the Belvedere, the Albertina's amazing print collection, and Breugel at the Art History Museum, are all a 15-20 minute walk away.
- Walks in the park
- Again the imperial majesty of the Belvedere and the intimacy of the Botanical Gardens are my favourite spots. But, to really soak up Viennese life you only need to go a block away to the Paris-inspired Drasche Park and watch the old Viennese ladies walking their dogs while having a good schwatzen (chat).
- Spot of exercise
- Imperial hunting grounds, palaces, or boulevards?
- Day tripping
- Mountains, lakes, vineyards, or....?
You may also like
Our apartment is centrally located in Vienna’s second district within walking distance to many of the city’s major sites. We reside in the recently renovated...
Penthouse with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 4 terraces on the top of a 19th century typical Viennese house. Directly located and overlooking the huge Augarten...
Our home is in Bregenz (30 000 inhabitants), which is in the very west of Austria right at Lake Constance on the border to Switzerland and Germany. From us...