“We spent a delightful 17 days in Hahndorf and enjoyed the small farm environment 23kms from Adelaide.... - fresh eggs every day - horses at the front door - use of the family car (Mercedes) - spectacular views from the dinning table - lots of wineries to visit.”
Spacious family home nestled on 14 acres
Spacious family home nestled on 14 acres
Added to shortlist
This home is in your shortlist. To access your shortlist click the icon in the navigation
Add to shortlist
This home is not yet in your shortlist
- 4 Bedrooms
- Sleeps 8
- 2 baths
About our home
Our very own rural retreat is on the outskirts of Hahndorf, one of South Australia's premier tourist attractions, being the oldest German settlement in Australia. You have 14 acres to explore, and a fabulous feeling of space and seclusion while the township is only a 1km walk away and neighbours at the bottom of the driveway.
The capital of South Australia, Adelaide is about 30kms away, with a bus leaving every half hour from Hahndorf main street.
Situated on top of a hill, the views from our home are commanding from every angle. A large open plan kitchen, renovated in 2013, allows for easy cooking while enabling you to enjoy the views at the same time. There are moments when I feel like I am living in a treehouse the views are so stunning.
If you love and appreciate beautiful wine, you will be staying in the right place, as we are smack bang in the middle of the Adelaide Hills wine region, with the most fantastic wineries within 2km - either a hearty walk or very quick drive. There are more than 40 cellar doors, hidden amongst vineyards and fruit orchards. The cool climate and good rainfall makes it perfect for producing Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc.
While our property is usually full of animals, during a house swap we would not have our own animals on the property but you are welcome to discuss with us bringing your pet or even horses. There are stables, an arena and paddocks. Perfect for children, with a soccer pitch, trampoline, and exploring space. (While there is a small dam on the property it is about 300 or so metres from the house, only thigh deep in winter and 80% time dry in summer).
Hahndorf itself is a delightful village. Settled in 1839 by 54 families from Prussia. There are still some original buildings left in the township and some of the local businesses such as the Beerenberg Strawberry Farm is still in the same family with their heritage going back to the settlers.
- Main home
- Equipped for kids
- Air conditioning
- Disabled access
More about us
- Fab family of four! Daisy is a young adult, and Harry is 14yrs with a passion for soccer - hence the soccer (football) pitch! Sarah loves her animals and Mark has a passion for all things nature and is very good at fixing things!
- Mark works in the environment movement, Sarah in PR; marketing
- We love the Adelaide Hills, good food, wine and company. Our passion is our property and animals (no animals will be here though during the house swap), the open spaces, views and tranquility of our home.
Where is it?
- Buzzy restaurants
- Restaurant 5245, the White House, The Haus
- Cool bars
- The White House, Hahndorf, Stirling Hotel
- Cozy cafés
- Beelah Cafe, Hahndorf, Organic Cafe, Stirling
- Retail therapy
- City of Adelaide, North Adelaide,
- Bit of culture
- The Cedars, Hans Heysen's house; North Terrace, Adelaide Festival in March, WOMAD in March, loads of festivals in Adelaide
- Walks in the park
- All around the Adelaide Hills; Heysen Trail
- Spot of exercise
- Walking in the hills around Adelaide;
- Day tripping
- Stunning wineries dotted throughout the hills; kid's things, Victor Harbor, Kangaroo Island (but recommend a bit longer stay)
You may also like
Our home was built in early 2000, it was a builders show home. The home features 3 lounge sitting areas, one being upstairs. The upstairs section features a...
Our newly built 3 bedroom plus study, home is modern but welcoming. It has a main bedroom with ensuite. 2nd bedroom with king single and 3rd bedroom with...
Mackinnon Town House is the epitomy of luxury accomodation situated right on the PARKLAND FRONTAGE of North Adelaide. Mackinnon reflects the feel of...