* The outstanding design feature of this open plan home is the spatial movement through the kitchen, through the living room, out onto the deck, onto the front lawn and down to the private beach.
* At the heart of the house is a massive island bench. On one side is the major arterial thoroughfare, the other side is the fully appointed galley kitchen. The stone bench includes the breakfast bar, two kitchen sinks, ample space for fruit bowls, flower vases, baskets of onions and garlic and still has space to absorb bags of shopping coming into the kitchen or plates of ordeurves.
* The outstanding design feature is the deck. This is a superb deck by any Aussie standard. In summer the late afternoon sun is filtered by a grapevine that frames the entire deck front. The deck faces due west, which means the end of every day is celebrated on the deck with a glass of wine with a sunset and a seascape which has never yet repeated. The seaview is framed by gum trees, which definitely add to the beauty, but also serve to protect winds from every direction other than due west. The gum trees are frequented by Koalas, which is an Aussie rarity. The birdlife is quite outstanding. Kookaburras are here every day along with colourful parrots and pelicans on the sea. Dolphins play in front of the house, but not every day.
* The left side of the deck is the ultimate Aussie male set up. It includes stainless steel bench tops and sinks for dealing with the catch of the day and of course the full BBQ facilities. At the other end of the deck is a conversation pit, which is ideal for parties or reclining with a book. In the middle of the deck are easy chairs and a coffee table where the sunset is usually celebrated along with morning teas or lunch. Between the coffee table and the BBQ area is the main entertaining outdoor dining table.
* The master bedroom is beside the living room at the front of the house, so the sea views are enjoyed from the moment of waking. It includes its own en suite bathroom and walk in wardrobe. Its most unusual feature is a spa bath on the deck side of the room, which enables taking a spa bath in the heart of winter, while enjoying the view and the late afternoon sun.
* An extremely useful feature of the house is the fully contained granny flat above the garage on the road side of the house. This is our primary guest facility. It includes a kitchen, a bathroom, walk in wardrobe lounge suite and TV facilities. It has a white shagpile carpet and chandeliers.
* Connecting the granny flat and garage to the rest of the house is what we call the music room. It is a family type room equiped with TV, sound systems, key board, a very comfy lounge and a full library.
* In total there are three bathrooms, four toilets and four showers, which includes a shower outside the laundry door for bathers coming up from the beach.
* The beach is just 5m wide, between the rocks, but this is just ideal for launching the kayaks and wind surfers we have. Above high tide level we have a grassed picnic area, which is actually used for parking kayaks and boats and extremely nice for sunsets if we want to get closer to the pelicans and dolphins or enjoy a fire on the beach.
* Between the front lawn and the sea is a grassed and wooded reserve, which can be accessed by the public, but with no pathways this seldom happens. We have formed a putting green and we use it as 100m approach shot golf hole.
* Our home is located on a long narrow peninsular projecting into Port Stephens harbour. The main access to Soldiers Point is on the western side, which has sandy beaches, million dollar houses and busy roads. We are on the western side on a granite knob where the coast is essentially rocky. This is the quiet end of town. To the north of us towards the end of the peninsula is an upmarket area which includes a marina that has been awarded the top marina in Australia for two years in the last four. It includes two wonderful restaurants that are within walking distance of our home. To the south there is extensive coastal forest reserve accessed only from the water, which makes our location ideal for kayaking.
* The neighbours on either side are very friendly and will assist with just about any problems that might arise.