Overall "bohemian" feel with lots of character, full of tidbits from around the World. It's not a soulless luxury Villa, it's my home, which could be described as a colonial-loft-style house.
Location is absolutely "down-town" Seminyak (the trendy Bali area) its the closest private foreign house to KuDeTa (the legendary sunset bar/ 5* restaurant) and a 1min walk to the beach, where there is also a huge Balinese temple, 2min ride to "Eat-street" with loads of restaurants, 4min ride to sunset/nightlife hot-spots (Potato Head, W Hotel, etc). Best boutique shopping all around.
Downstairs = master bedroom (aircon & king size quality mattress + memory foam) & en-suite bathroom (2sinks, shower, toilet, bath tub) note: pics outdated. It's even cooler now ;)
Living room & kitchen (double story 25ft ceilings / West i.e. sunset & ocean facing, so breezy and light / but not killer hot). Note: pic also outdated: Living room now dominated by a huge carved wood elevated daybed (very cool...) that seats 4 comfortably, 6 if you're all small / know each other well ;)
Garden= pool (with a small very shallow area suitable for chilling/toddlers), "jungle shower", overgrown garden (lots of shade & strange flowers), "prison"-style weight bench (that a gardener built. Seriously), sun loungers, 4-seater Alfresco dining table.
Upstairs= west facing balcony for sunset / hammock, 2 more guest air-con bed-rooms with double-bed (quality mattress)(one a semi-office) & interconnecting bathroom with shower.
Immediate outside= separate staff entrance, private three-car drive way, opposite our huge amateur "farm" (using the term loosely) where the little old lady I inherited with the place grows a type of bland sweet potato (not my thing), mangos (no brainer), limes (handy), lemon-basil (awesome), aloe vera (for sunburn, healthy but disgusting), and ylang-ylang flowers (if you want to try and make your own channel no.5), staff houses, staff kitchens & their bathroom, etc.
You can hear the waves at night and watch sunset from the balcony (and get glimpses from the living room sofa). You feel the sea-breeze, unless of course it is not windy, in which you don't. It is on a paved road (a rarity in Bali, you can walk to KuDeTa in high heels, but I suggest flip flops...) and surrounded on every side by top-end boutique resorts (The Oberoi, C151 & The Elysian).
- 24hr staff "over-kill", 3people (on-site but other side of the driveway so full privacy, but still in shouting distance): Daily offerings to the statues & shrines (so the Gods are happy, always a bonus), ALL cleaning (lots of sweeping going on, which is rather Zen to listen to) & dishes, laundry (she even irons socks...), shopping, any random request you can come up with (juice these exotic fruits, chop open the coconut, refill the ice-tray, etc.), cooking (local only, but best jackfruit curry in town...), security (they hang around & neighboring resort security are 10meters away) & finally (for a $5-$10 tip) massages & babysitting
- Top-quality linen, top-quality table-wear, fully equipped kitchen, spices, so many condiments that every new girlfriend over the past years has thrown out half of them
- vita-life R-system Magnetic Resonance system (see www.tinyurl.com/vitalifeR). Just turn it on & lie down, great for meditation, etc etc. My hippie friends love it.
- Wi-fi / portable mini-router can be left behind, if I'm not traveling domestically (but there is a cute cafe next door www.iloveartcafe.com & frankly there are much better things to do in Bali than check your email!)
- Technics 1200 DJ set up (getting dusty..) & boxes of records
- Bookshelves full of quirky books across a range of subjects
- No "brain rot" TV connection, but hundreds of DVDs. Flatscreen with surround sound theater (speakers on cool home-made bamboo movable stands, which the upward-aspirational locals find highly amusing)
- Top-shelf single-malt & spirits of the World collection, which are only available outside of the country, so please bring a bottle if you plan on attacking it / want a glowing recommendation ;)
- Use of an automatic motorbike & mountain bike (usable on the beach at low tide). A car & full time driver available on request from the guys down the road, they'll even pick you up at the airport and give you a cheesy flower necklace, if that's your kind of thing.
- Use of a ridiculous stretched Vespa "lowrider" if you can get it running
- Possible use of the Jetski parked in the driveway, if you can get it to the beach (sorry.. now sold...)
- Massage place next door $10/hour, will come to the house, if don't want to use the maid
- Travel tour arranger guys on the corner (half way to the beach) who can arrange anything
- I'll leave a full REAL "Insider" guide
- Two ridiculously friendly (inc for children) super clever large standard poodles (They will be fully taken care of, non-intrusively, by the maid and walked by friends, but you can also take them on sunset beach walks… or not... I have friends lining up to to do & the maid and her family love the attention they get when they take them out, almost as much as they love the dogs... The dogs can go elsewhere, if preferred... Will go elsewhere, if I'm away for longer periods)