stylish, contemporary home, bringing together all the facets of energy efficiency and reducing the home’s environmental footprint.
This EcoSmart home incorporates old-fashioned wisdom with modern features to control heating, ventilation and insulation.
• A high performance thermal envelope living area with natural cross ventilation. North facing captures and stores the heat and releases into the house at night while the south facing is designed to keep cold air out, known as the envelope effect.
• Roof overhangs and slatted screens prevent summer overheating but allow low altitude winter sun to penetrate deep into the building.
• The walls, under-floor and roof, are all heavily insulated, and all window and door joinery are double glazed.
• Renewable New Zealand radiata pine is used for all walls, floor and roof framing, and ceilings.
• The weatherboard is a brand new patented Lockwood quarter sawn laminated radiata pine product for stability, durability and low environmental footprint.
• Timber joinery is tasmanian oak from sustainable plantation forests with a minimal outer skin of anodised aluminium for durability and stabililty.
• A north-facing, 30° sloping, solar tower provides optimum positioning for solar water heating, which is supported by a wetback Natures Flame wood pellet-burning space heater which recycles waste from Lockwood as fuel pellets.
• Similarly, the north-facing “beak” allows for solar photovoltaic cells for electricity generation.
Low energy appliances and lighting are used throughout the home, while water collection is via water tanks and, where possible, paint finishes are water-based and low toxicity.