“Thankyou Love Home Swap and Ethna and Ken for making our first house swap such a wonderful experience. Looking forward to our next swap already! So, if interested in visiting Melbpurne let me know. Jim Hill”
Newly built stylish townhouse in central Edinburgh
Newly built stylish townhouse in central Edinburgh
Added to shortlist
This home is in your shortlist. To access your shortlist click the icon in the navigation
Add to shortlist
This home is not yet in your shortlist
- 3 Bedrooms
- Sleeps 6
- 2 baths
About our home
Our house is a newly built (2015) town house in a small gated development of eight houses in a quiet residential road. We are a ten minute walk from the centre of Edinburgh, and are located in Stockbridge. It is a buzzing area with a great variety of local food shops, more cafes than it would be possible to use, great restaurants and bars. It has just won the accolade of best place to live in Scotland 2016 from the Sunday Times for its village feel and friendly locals. The Sunday Farmers Market is a great attraction where local produce is sold alongside wonderful food from around the world for an al fresco lunch. We are close to the Water of Leith, a river running through the centre of Edinburgh. The riverside path provides a wonderful stretch of nature in the centre of the city and a different view of Edinburgh and the chance to see herons and even kingfishers. We have access to the private Dean Gardens which runs alongside the river for half a mile.
During August Edinburgh really comes alive is it hosts the Edinburgh International Festival, the largest arts festival in the world. We love it, but would consider a swap for a week during this special time.
The hub of our home is a large kitchen / living / dining room that comprises the first floor. There is also a utility room / WC on this floor. The full height windows allow a great view of a Georgian terrace across the communal garden. This room has 'smart' TVs in the living area and kitchen and cable channels can also be accessed on these TVs as well as in the third bedroom. We have ceiling speakers controlled by an app which allows you to play music from your phone or tablet. The kitchen is fitted with high spec appliances, including a wine fridge and coffee maker. The dining area has a small balcony that allows us to catch some afternoon sun.
On the ground floor there is a large double bedroom, with king-sized bed and large en suite bathroom. The rest of this floor is our garage and study, where we will store our clutter when we are away. The second floor comprises the main bedroom with super king sized bed, also with en suite bathroom and walk in wardrobe. The third bedroom, which we mainly use as an alternative sitting room, has a single bed and a pull out bed under, suitable for a child or shorter adult.
Car entry to the development is controlled by an electric gate. The grounds are communal and there is a small barbecue area. We have a designated parking space within the grounds which will be available for use. We would be prepared to consider swapping cars. Outside the gate it is 50 yards to the high street, Raeburn Place where there is a bus stop for three buses to different parts of the city and also ready access to taxis.
There is a cleaner available if you'd like one. She's payable locally and separate to any arrangement we make.
- Main home
- Cable TV
- No pets
“This apartment is in a lovely part of Edinburgh with easy access to tourist sites and all that Edinburgh has to offer - a great place to be during the wonderful festival. The apartment is beautifully appointed - and very comfortable. We loved our stay there and would highly recommend.”
“We just had a great time in Edinburgh. The house was just fantastic in a brilliant location in Edinburgh. Ethna was just great to communicate with and everything was just as she said it would be and great help for organising our trip. The house is really really lovely, comfortable and homely yet modern and spacious, with absolutely everything you could possibly need. Would highly highly recommend it!”
More about us
- We are in our fifties and sixties and retired to Edinburgh two years ago, after careers in financial services and PR, and love the architecture and the range of things to do and see.
- We are both keen golfers and are members of a club in Edinburgh. We also enjoy the range of wonderful golf courses in East Lothian, known locally as the Golf Coast, and across the river in Fife, where there are plenty of great courses, including St Andrews, all easily accessible.
- We love our new home and have worked hard to get it to the way we wanted. We regularly holiday in homes rented from other owners and always treat their homes with as much care as we do our own. We are non smokers.
Where is it?
- Buzzy restaurants
- Edinburgh has a great range of eateries, from Michelin starred establishments to great local bistros. The web can help with selecting where to go in the centre of town, but locally we are very well catered for within strolling distance. Unless noted, all these restaurants are in Raeburn Place and all are within 400 yards. 1)The Scran and Scallie is run by Michelin-starred Tom Kitchin and offers his stylish twist on good pub fare. They take bookings for half the tables, and the rest are first come first served. 2) Across the road is The Raeburn. Large dining room and bar, with reasonable range of fish and burgers. 3) Rollo’s is small, always busy and serves a great mix of bites and bigger plates. Good music tracks. You must book to get a table. 4) The Field Grill House is a new restaurant less than 100 yards away and they are off to a great start. Brilliant steaks, both beef and venison, and a nice vibe. 5) New Chapter (Eyre Place) is another new restaurant and has a great menu. We have been once and our experience matched the high expectations we had from reading the TripAdvisor reviews. We’ll be back!
- Cool bars
- On the high street we have Hector’s Bar, which also serves decent pub food and is a very popular and well known haunt. The Stockbridge Tap is an award winning real ale pub which also has a small menu of burger type foods. The Baillie on the corner of St Stephens Street is a friendly local. Hamilton’s on Hamilton Place is a relaxed wine bar with a great atmosphere, and for a real Edinburgh locals pub try the St Vincent Bar on the corner of St Vincent Street and Circus Lane, all within an easy stroll.
- Cozy cafés
- Our area must be the cafe capital of the world. Within a few hundred yards we have counted over 20 locations to buy coffee and hang out. This covers the main chains to quirky local businesses specialising in coffee as well as a florist and a specialist cheese shop that also double as coffee shops.
- Retail therapy
- For day to day needs there is a Sainsbury's Local (mini supermarket open 7 am until 11 pm daily) at the end of the road, and the Scotmid Co-op 100 yards the other way, which is slightly bigger. About 10 minutes walk along Raeburn Place is a large Waitrose supermarket. The high street has an independent butcher, baker, fishmonger, two delis, the most delicious cake shop (Patisserie Madeleine) and several takeaways with Chinese, Thai and Indian food, pizza places and a good fish and chip shop. Stockbridge is well known in Edinburgh for the quality of its dozen or so charity shops, which attract a lot of visitors at weekends. Browse in specialist book and music stores as well as more general bargain hunting. We can provide details of larger supermarkets within 5 minutes drive if needed. The city centre has a wide range of great shopping including the upmarket Harvey Nicholls store.
- Bit of culture
- Where do we start? Edinburgh has concert halls, regular ballet and opera all year round and lots of theatre as well as the National Galleries of Scotland encompassing the National Gallery, Portrait Gallery and Modern Art Gallery. There is a great variety of other galleries and events and lots of live music venues to explore. We will have the latest brochures in the house for some of the main attractions and can personalise this when we speak or email you.
- Walks in the park
- Our area is blessed with wonderful open spaces. Next to us is the Grange cricket, tennis and squash club, where the Scottish cricket team (yes we have one) is based. Next door to them is the Edinburgh Academicals sports ground where the first ever rugby international was played. These both adjoin Inverleith Park, a large open space with sports fields, tennis courts and a children’s play area. There is a small boating lake much loved by swans and ducks, which has been used for 100 years to sail model boats, and they can still be seen on Sunday mornings. The park is heavily used by dog walkers and runners. A short stroll up the road from our house is the Royal Botanic Garden of Edinburgh, known locally as the Botanics. This is a truly wonderful garden with beautiful planting and trees, a great place to wander for half an hour, or a lot longer. Amazingly, it is free to enter but if you want to go in the 10 glasshouses there is a small charge.
- Spot of exercise
- 250 yards from the house is Glenogle Swim Centre. Built in Victorian times, this has recently been completely refurbished and upgraded, while maintaining many original features, to provide a 25 metre swimming pool, sauna and steam room and as well as a good small gym and separate weights room. This is run by Edinburgh Council and it is easy to turn up and pay for what you wish to use, including a wide range of fitness classes at reasonable rates. We can provide more specific information on other sports, with a special interest in golf.
- Day tripping
- There is a huge range of options and activities in and around Edinburgh and further afield, including golf, stately homes and palaces, scenic drives in the splendid Scottish countryside. Edinburgh provides a great base for exploring the whole of Scotland.
You may also like
Our 2 bedroom apartment is perfectly located in the Centre of Edinburgh, 5 min walk to The Usher Hall, Filmhouse, and Princes Street, Grassmarket and a 10...
Our lovely, spacious family home is located within easy reach of the city centre, beach and parks. There are excellent amenities such as supermarket and pub...
Our lovely home was completed renovated in 2012. It is a third/top floor flat that overlooks a lovely park about 20 minutes walk from the centre of the city....