DOWNSTAIRS: Hall, Living room, Dining room, Music Room (incl. Grand & Upright Pianos), Kitchen, Downstairs Cloakroom, Comfortable Conservatory (which leads on to Patio), Integral Garage
UPSTAIRS: 4 Double Bedrooms, Bathroom, Separate Shower room
OUTSIDE: Mature Garden, Greenhouse, Shed
The ford over the River Ouse at Cawood contributed to the founding of a settlement at this site, in prehistoric times it was on the trade route from Scandinavia to Ireland. The site of the Castle was originally occupied by a manor house which was built around 920 AD, and later fortified. King Athelstane gave it to the See of York in 937 AD as a thank offering after a victory over the Danes, and it then became the home of the Archbishops of York.
Between the late 1600's and mid 1700's was the high point in Cawood's prosperity, many of the buildings in the centre of the village date from this time. The village benefited from the river trade, reflected in the names of the local pubs: the Ferry Inn, the Jolly Sailor; the Anchor (- recently closed). Stone from the Huddlestone quarries at Sherburn-in-Elmet was brought to Cawood, probably along Bishopdyke, to build the Castle and the Church. The same stone was used to build York Minster. At very low water, the remains of the riverside staith can be seen.
Inside Cawood church there is a monument to Archbishop Mountain. George Mountain was a native of the area who eventually became Bishop of London. When the Archbishop of York died, the King spoke to Bishop Mountain and asked about a successor, Bishop Mountain apparently said: "hads't thou faith as a grain of mustard seed, thou would say to this mountain (laying his hand on his breast), be removed to that See". He was accordingly appointed Archbishop of York in June 1628 but died shortly after his enthronement. In his will he left money for the poor of Cawood and for poor children to be placed as apprentices.
The church registers go back to 1591 although there is a gap between 1642 and 1649 due to the Civil War; they are at the Borthwick Institute in York for safe keeping. The church's Tenor bell is pre-reformation, tradition has it that it was brought from the Castle chapel when that was destroyed in 1646, and is the bell remaining after the 1569 Rising of the North.
We are both professional Classical Musicians (Performers, Teachers & Composers), hence the 2 pianos, 2 violins, viola and keyboard in our Music room!